Papa's Exact Scalloped Potatoes
Stuff You Need
5 large Yukon Gold potatoes, skin on
1 medium onion, sliced in rings
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 /3/4 cup milk
pinches of salt and sprinkles of pepper
Equipment You Need
2 1/2 quart baking dish
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease baking dish (I sprayed mine with that cooking spray stuff).
2. Peel onion and slice into thin rounds, separating out the rings.
3. Wash potatoes and pat dry. Figure out the mandoline tool (ask your Papa) and slice potatoes into disks. Slices should look like skinny hockey pucks.
4. Make a layer of potatoes covering the bottom of the pan. Layer over the onion slices. Add small chunks of the butter. Sprinkle over flour. Continue the layering until you reach 3/4 of the baking dish.
5. Pour the milk over the layers making sure the potatoes are covered with liquid. Use pinches of salt and sprinkle the pepper over the top.
6. Cover dish with aluminum foil and bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until tender.
(*We cheated this Easter since we didn't have a lot of time. We covered dish with plastic wrap and put in the microwave for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes were just soft. Then, took off the plastic, covered with foil, and baked for 30 minutes. We uncovered it for the last 10 minutes of baking. Turned out soooo good.)